NYX Resistance

The pitch workshop conducted in class I believe was probably one of the best if not the best I've heard. The framework that was presented was very simple yet effective. When writing a pitch, I've always found the introduction to be the hardest part because if you are unable to capture the audience in the first minute of your presentation, you've lost them for the entire pitch. The "ah ha!" introduction is a great way to provide the audience with a background as to how you came up with the idea and can really sell the investor on your dedication to pursue and persist with the venture given difficult times.

Additionally, the exercise of putting your business concept into a twitter summery was challenging; however, it made it easier to communicate when pitching. The format "We created ______that does _______ which solves ______ for _______." Is a simplistic way for any business to describe what they do, who it's for, and the problem it is solving.

Another interesting piece of information that I took away from the workshop was the concept of knowing and researching your audience. The topic of pitching to Canadians differently than Americans I found to be rather interesting and something I will keep in mind for the future.

Overall, the 10 step process that was shared really simplified pitching for me. I often would make writing a pitch a really big deal and it was definitely not one of my favorite things to do. With this framework, it is easy to write a great pitch and have the confidence that it will generate a positive response.

Leave a Reply